Sunday, March 16, 2008

Woo hoo!

We did 10.41 miles and are feeling great! Lisa, her husband Alex and I ran down at Mission Bay. We missed a couple of turns and went the wrong way, so we went a couple of miles out of our way. We stopped running at 10.41 miles, according to my Nike +, and then walked the rest of the way back to the car. I think the walk really helped to loosen up my legs after the run. Before the walk, I was tightening up pretty badly and my legs hurt. By the time we got back to the car, I felt a lot better.

I think I learned a bit about my nutrition needs. My breathing etc. was fine throughout the run. My legs felt like they were about to fall off around mile 9. They were heavy and tired and were starting to hurt. The rest of me felt fine. I think this may have been "the wall" that you hear so much about and my glycogen stores were probably gone. I think I need to do more carbo loading the day before. Last night we had steak, veggies and mashed potatoes. It was a nutritious meal, but I think next week I need to have a carb-heavy dinner. I'm also not sure if I ate enough lunch yesterday either. I also need to start carrying the sport beans, gu shots or Clif Shots-- something to give me some calories etc. I also bummed some gatorade from Lisa, who had a hydration belt. Our runs are long enough now that we definitely need water and nutrition during the run. They only go up from here.

I have to give my Nike + a bit of an endorsement. Not only does it tell me how long I have been running, how far and my current pace, it also records all the runs that I have done. Today was the first time I listened to it after I ended my workout. Lance Armstrong came on at the end of the workout summary and said, "Hi, this is Lance Armstrong. Congratulations on completing your longest workout." It was pretty cool.

Next week is 12 miles and I am actually looking forward to it.

Here is what we ran today:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails