Sunday, March 30, 2008

And the miles keep coming...

We did twelve miles today. I can't believe that it is such a simple statement that seemed nearly impossible not so long ago. The funny thing is... it didn't seem that big a deal. In fact, it was one of my best runs yet. Unfortunately, only half of us made it this week. Jen and Lisa were sick, so it was just Laura and I. I know the other two will bounce back and be just fine on next week's run.

Laura and I averaged 9:38 per mile, which is pretty good for any distance. The most encouraging thing for me was that our fastest two miles were mile 11 and mile 12. That was when I started getting tired so I stopped chatting, turned up my music and focused on running. We ran a 9:17 and 9:15 mile, respectively, for those last two. Holy cow!! I KNOW if I had that much left in the tank at the end of that run, I could easily go further. It was a HUGE confidence booster.

Now I am dangerously changing my mental goal from just finishing the marathon to finishing with a decent time. I need to remind myself of the ultimate goal: FINISH. I do not want to set myself up for disappointment if I don't hit a certain time goal.

We are on the downhill slope of this training program. So far, it has been GREAT. I just want to thank Jen again for putting it together. It has really fit our fitness levels and has been a nice gradual increase in mileage. I hope the second half goes as well as the first.....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails