Friday, October 14, 2011

Motherhood IS a workout!

Yesterday was a marathon. There was a little bit of running involved, but that was the easy part. Here is a synopsis of my not-so-typical day.

5:30 a.m.—meet Stacey for two mile warm up and three 800 meter repeats at the track.* We ran about six miles total.

7:00 a.m.—wake up kids, get them breakfast, get clothes (didn’t lay them out the night before –fail), bag up 60 bags of edamame for kindergarten “E” snack for both classes.

7:45 a.m.—leash up dog, make sure kindergarten share item is in backpack, put lunches in backpacks, help put shoes on.

7:48 a.m.—leave for school. It is a beautiful day and instead of enjoying the walk, we rushed to the school.

8:15 a.m.—walk home after touching base with some of the moms regarding PTA business.

8:30 a.m.—prepare for Body Back. Bring equipment, including spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of peppermint oil as well as a cooler full of washcloths in ice water and lavender oil for end of class.

8:55 a.m.—teach plyometric workout to my Body Back clients in 80+ degree heat.

10:15 a.m.—back home to do laundry, help pack for husband’s work trip, empty the dishwasher, put away clothes/jammies that are scattered all over the kids’ room etc.etc.

1:25 p.m.—head to the school to pick up kindergartner.

1:35 p.m.—pick up kindergartner. Let her play on the grass by the school while we wait for big brother.

2:15 p.m.—big brother gets out of school. He earned “super star” status so he gets to play on the grass with his friends and then go to a friend’s house for a play date.

3:15 p.m.—take daughter to dance class. Drop her off there so I can run a couple errands before end of class and having to pick up son at friend’s house.

3:55 p.m.—get into car after running errand for husband for his trip and it DOES. NOT. START.

4:00 p.m.—sit in HOT** car making phone calls trying to make sure daughter is not stranded at dance class. I call for a ride, call the mechanic, call the dealership…

4:20 p.m.—picked up by friend, Kelly, and drive to dance class to pick up daughter.

4:40 p.m.—pick up Kelly’s car*** from the shop so I can borrow it until I get my car fixed.

5:10 p.m.—pick up son at friend’s house.

5:15 p.m.—get kids in Kelly’s car and turn key to find out that IT. WON’T. START.  Wth? Am I CURSED??

5:20 p.m.—call Kelly and tell her about her car. She calls her family to help pick up her kids (she has four of them, so every day is a marathon for her). She calls me back and tells me she is on her way to me to call AAA and deal with her car.  As she is talking to me (on speaker phone) I hear a crunch as she says, “OMG…a woman just ran into me!! I’ll call you back!!” Ack!!

5:25 p.m.—Kelly calls me back. No damage from fender bender.  Crazy lady backed into her at a stop light.  Wth??

5:35 p.m.—Kelly comes to friend’s house, we all push the car out of friend’s driveway so he can get out and take his kids to soccer. Her car sat in the middle of the cul de sac, waiting for the tow truck.

6:10 p.m.—Auto Club shows up. He tries to start car and then hooks it up to the truck to tow it.

7:00 p.m.—Tow truck drops Kelly’s car at mechanic (which is closed). He is not allowed to go get my car. I call Auto Club to get a tow truck for my car. We drive back to where my car is parked.

7:30 p.m.—second tow truck comes to my car. He hooks it up and we go back to mechanic. By this time, Kelly and I were laughing about it all. We were calling it our adventure. The kids were troupers. Seriously, the whining was really kept to a minimum. There was a McDonald’s next to the store where my car was parked so they got a very rare Happy Meal, which made them very happy.****

8:05 p.m.—second tow truck leaves garage. Kelly and I are starving. We fed the kids, but not us. I had actually not had lunch, just a snack after Body Back.

8:15 p.m.—as a fortunate twist of fate, we had noticed that there were six or seven food trucks in a parking lot near the spot where my car had broken down. Kelly and I grabbed some yummy food. These are the actual food trucks from the Food Network show The Great Food Truck Race. I found out after the fact that the winner was there. Apparently, they go to this parking lot every Thursday night so I might go try them next week!

8:55 p.m--. Kelly drops me off at home.  FINALLY. I get kids in jammies and tuck them into bed.

9:15 p.m.—help husband finish up packing for his trip. He is camping in Moab, Utah as a company retreat (did I mention that I am jealous?)

10:00 p.m.—I can’t stay awake any longer and I fall into bed. I am so exhausted that I actually fell asleep in my clothes.

I had planned on running early this morning, but like any marathon, I needed some recovery time. I slept in until 6:45 only to start another marathon all over again today. I have four days of being a single mom. So right now, instead of getting chores done or running errands, I am sitting on the computer, catching up with DVR episodes of Grey’s Anatomy and Project Runway.

I hope you are doing well with your marathons of your lives.  Have a fantastic weekend!!

*Stacey did GREAT. This was her first speed work in her training for a sub-two half marathon. She did her 800 repeats in 3:43, 3:49 and 3:52.  We originally planned on doing four, but cut it short to run home in time to start our busy days.
**It was in the 90’s yesterday! I didn’t want to make phone calls in the air conditioned store, but maybe I should have since I had a headache for the rest of the afternoon.
***Kelly was driving her sister’s car since her car had been in the shop to fix her radiator. She was called that afternoon telling her that her car was ready.
****Did you know that McDonald’s now provides french fries and apples with Happy Meals? Now kids don’t have to choose one or the other.  The fries are a tiny portion…just enough.  SO much better.


Kathy said...

wow - what a day! I've had those days - when absolutely EVERYTHING goes wrong, and eventually you just have to laugh! Good for you keeping your sense of humor.

Good luck being a single mom the next few days...

RainStorm said...

Blimey! You had me at the 5:30am run! What a day...

Unknown said...

I remember those days. This may sound crazy, but enjoy it while you can. They grow up too fast. Now I have one away at college and a senior in HS who still has a busy life (School, work, friends, extra-curricular activities) only now she can get herself to where she needs to be so I hardly see her at all.

Unknown said...

I remember those days. This may sound crazy, but enjoy it while you can. They grow up too fast. Now I have one away at college and a senior in HS who still has a busy life (School, work, friends, extra-curricular activities) only now she can get herself to where she needs to be so I hardly see her at all.

Being Robinson said...

wow, bless your heart. i don't have kids, but i can only imagine what it will be like when i have "those" days and have babies on top of it. i'm impressed. and i hope the rest of your week goes much better :)

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

What a crazy day! Glad it ended well!

The Green Girl said...

I got really tired reading this.

Congratulations on Stacey's awesome speed work session!

Amanda@runninghood said...

It really is a marathon isn't it?! Life. And with husbands gone, it makes it like training without the extra fuel! :)

Unknown said...

You won our RazzyRoo headband giveaway! Please send us your email address ( so we can get you in touch with this amazing company. Congrats!


Related Posts with Thumbnails