Thursday, July 31, 2008

Such a journey in a short time...

I thought I would jump on the Runner's Lounge Take It and Run bandwagon and post in response to this week's topic.

This time last year, I had just begun thinking about getting into this running thing. I ran my very first 10K on July 28, 2007 (Happy runniversary to me!!!) That was the furthest I had ever run. After that, I was excited to do another 10K and talking about doing a 1/2 marathon.

I half-heartedly said I would run the Silver Strand Half Marathon in November. For one reason or another, I never got any long runs in and postponed the idea of a half marathon until January's Carlsbad Half. I got sick in late November/early December and junked any ideas of training. My friend, Penny, had run her first half marathon in September and kept telling me how great it felt to accomplish something like that and that I should do it.

In January, I was at my Stroller Strides class and my future running partners Jen and Laura made an announcement that they would be training for the Rock-n-Roll Marathon on June 1 and would anyone want to join them. I had occasionally entertained a vague thought of running a marathon.....SOMEDAY. This was the perfect opportunity for me. When would I be able to train with other mothers (with unique scheduling issues such as childcare) where we were all doing our first marathon? With myself and the other Lisa joining, the "Rockin' Mamas" running group was formed.

Six months later, after completing my first marathon, I am completely hooked. Here are the answers to the questions on the Runner's Lounge post:

-Are your goals still right for you this year?
My goal in the beginning of the year was simply to run a half marathon. That was upgraded in late January to a marathon. I am finally doing that half marathon in a few weeks when I run the America's Finest City Half. I am really excited about it. No matter how I do, it will be a PR :-)

-Anything you would change?
I don't think so. Training with my friends was the BEST way to keep me motivated. I have been known to be a bit of a talker (NO, you, Lisa??) and I was afraid I would talk about doing a marathon without actually doing it. I am so proud that all four of our little group finished the marathon.

What have you accomplished?
I ran a marathon!! It wasn't close to the time I wanted to run it in, so another one is probably in my future so I can bury that demon.

What have you learned along the way?
Since June, I have become a better runner, I think. I think more about my form and breathing and less about just getting from point A to point B. The first half of the year was building my endurance and fitness, whereas the second half will be running more effeciently. I am reading Matt Fitzgerald's Brain Training for Runners, which seems to have some good info (but it is a little on the dry side).

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I would have guessed that you've been running much longer! Happy runniversary :)

Alissa said...

I enjoyed this post Lisa. Its good to hear about your background. I agree that running with friends is the best way to stay motivated. For years I ran to get away from people. (I'm a natural introvert). These days, I'm having a hard time doing it without people. Its funny how things change. Happy runniversary!

Laura said...

I got "Brain Training for Runners" as a birthday gift, but haven't read it yet. Happy runniversary :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails