Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Altitude training Part 2

Well, today was quite a bit harder. Is there a cumulative effect from altitude? I swear it felt like my lungs were going to explode this morning. The uphill parts of the run were really tough. I actually had to stop and walk a couple of times. I didn't even go three miles, but I was DONE by the time I got back to the house.

Distance: 2.69 miles
Time: 32:50
Pace: 12:13/mile

I almost skipped the run altogether, due to lack of sleep, so getting out at all is a success. My four-year-old woke up several times during the night crying with a headache. Bad mommy forgot the bag with the Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I contemplated running to a drugstore to get something to help him, but I didn't know where to find a drugstore that is open all night. After a cold wash cloth on his forehead and temples, he seemed to feel better and finally fell asleep for good.

The trail I followed today was rockier than yesterday's. At one point there was a log across the path that I had to climb over. One thing that was a little scary was that I almost missed the turn to get back to the road where the house is. I was mostly watching my feet, so I wouldn't trip or roll my ankle. That made it hard to watch for landmarks. I really should figure out that feature on the Garmin that can take you back to where you started. Have any of you Garmin users (I have a 205) ever used that feature?

Speaking of Garmin questions... the autopause didn't seem to work the last two days. It worked when I used it in downtown San Diego. Why isn't it working now? Is there a trick to get it to work? When I go to settings, it says that it is activated. I suppose I shouldn't pause it when I am crawling over a log or catching my breath. Maybe Garmin knows that it is cheating? LOL.

I think I am going to try to do one more trail run in the morning. Even though it was hard, I like it better than running on these narrow streets with no shoulder. I think I'll drive somewhere a bit flatter on Saturday for my long run. Maybe I'll try to find a path along the lake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask you what model Garmin you had after you mentioned it in your last post. I'm still just dying to find something to give me my pace while running. I can work up to a pretty good pace (based on feedback from some of my training runs with others who have Garmins), but sometimes when I'm on my own I get lazy or I change my pace so much. I think having something to keep me more aware of my real pace might help me to improve!

I think your time/distance is pretty good considering it required you to climb over things! And hey, many people in this world wouldn't do any kind of workout on vacation, so you're doing way better than them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails