Sunday, April 12, 2009

Progression...

My goal starting out today was to do a true progression run-- to run each mile faster than the previous mile (or at least the same pace). I had been toying with the idea for a while, but then I was inspired by Kristin who ran negative splits last week.

Laura and I couldn't sync our schedules today, so I ran sixteen miles by myself. I decided to go where I was the most comfortable-the bay. It really doesn't get old, especially when the first five miles was along the ocean. It doesn't get much better than that. I started out listening to a book on tape and switched to music around four or five miles. It was a nice day for a run... not too hot and not too cold.

I was pretty darn pleased with how I did.

Splits:
mile 1- 9:40 (ah, a nice, relaxing run along the ocean. My training schedule calls for a 9:49 pace)
mile 2- 9:30
mile 3-
9:29 (one second counts, doesn't it?)
mile 4-
9:26
mile 5-
9:17
mile 6-
9:11
mile 7-
9:09
mile 8-
9:08
mile 9-
9:06
mile 10-
9:04
mile 11-
9:03
mile 12-
9:00
mile 13-
8:55
mile 14-
8:51
mile 15-
8:51 (close enough, right?)
mile 16-
8:39 (yeah, baby! THAT'S what I am talking about...but it killed me! That last mile had a steep hill and then a bridge over the bay. I was hurting when I finally finished it)
.66-
10:31 m/m pace (I walked for a little bit before jogging back to the car)

Overall average pace: 9:11 (That pace would get me just over 4 hours in the marathon). I am not sure I could have gone another ten miles though... Hmmm. We'll see.

Today's run represents how my running in general has been. It has been a steady progression. I am thrilled with how far I have come in a year. A year ago, I would have been jumping for joy to run at a 9:40 pace. Now that is my easy warm-up.

Happy Running...

5 comments:

The Alien said...

That looks like a great workout!! I like the progression run idea, I'm gonna try it, although it will probably be on a shorter distance.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's an awesome run! Progression runs are fun but tough for me. Tanner (the dog) is ok, it was milk chocolate which is not quite as bad as dark, and he is
100lbs which helps too.

Janet B. said...

OMG... that is truly amazing! AWESOME run! :D

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! It really is inspiring to see the progression that people make as they keep running. I've never done a progression run, perhaps I should give it a go sometime!

Irish Cream said...

I have to say, I too am SERIOUSLY impressed with the progress you have made since I first started reading your blog! You are downright speedy these days! Great job on the progression run--especially for such a long distance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails