Monday, March 16, 2009

Kindness of Strangers...

I was moved to tears at the supportive and encouraging comments that many of you left on my last post. Marathonman, you really touched me by suggesting that my readers sponsor my next marathon. You started a bit of a trend when several others followed your lead. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

As sweet and as generous it is for virtual strangers (or all we now really virtual friends?) to offer to help me pay my way, I am pretty confident that I will be able to come up with entry fees with birthday gifts. I am not 100% comfortable accepting charity...yet.

HOWEVER, in the vein of sponsorship, I AM fundraising for a much more worthy cause than my personal running endeavors. I am a team captain for the March of Dimes March for Babies in April for the Central San Diego Stroller Strides locations. I might even run my marathon for all the March of Dimes babies out there. I have been blessed with two very healthy children. I had good prenatal care and no major complications during my pregnancies. Many women are not so lucky. Money raised by the March of Dimes will help:
  • support all-important research offering preventions and solutions for babies born too soon or with birth defects
  • educate women on things they can do to increase their chances of having a healthy baby
  • provide comfort and information to families with a newborn in intensive care
  • push for newborn screening and health insurance for all pregnant women and children



Thanks again for the encouraging words. I feel very lucky to have this outlet. I never would have thought that I would find such an inspiring and supportive group of readers. Writing about my running exploits has been such a wonderful release for me. To find a group of people who actually read it is more than I could have asked for.

happy running...

3 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Good luck with fundraising for a very worthy cause.

Glad to hear you think you'll be able to get funds together to run. But, yes, the "virtual strangers" on the Internet are some of the most generous people I've ever "met".

Anonymous said...

Hey there Lisa. I am not surprised at all the nice comments people left you. I think that they can tell you're an awesome human being without having met you in person. I've never "met" you officially, and I know it. Look how nice you were to me before my west coast trip last year - most people don't go out of their way like that.

You're a wonderful human being. You need to remind yourself of that.

And if you don't, don't worry. I will.

Hugs,
Terri

Marathonman101108 said...

Lisa,
I missed your blogs!! I have goosebumps reading this one...I'm actually at a loss for words, which NEVER happens. You're welcome, and THANK-YOU :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails