Friday, September 12, 2008

Where oh where did my running go??

I have misplaced my running, at least the motivation to actually get out there and do it. Poor running seems to be taking a backseat to the rest of my life.

On one hand, I have started to team teach my Stroller Strides classes, so at least I am getting some decent cross-training in. However, I have been sleeping in until 6:30 and going to bed late, which are bad habits for a runner.

Someone asked me today when my next race is. That's the problem. I don't really have any peak races on the horizon. I think I am going to run the Nike Women's Half Marathon virtually through my Nike +. After the great Human Race experience, I think it will be a lot of fun. I just hope Roadrunner is sponsoring that one as well. I don't have the drive that I did for the AFC, since it isn't a "real" race.

I am running a 10K Mud Run in November, which should be fun, but it is not something that makes me feel like I have to go out and train for it. I am running with a team, so I don't really need to do speed work. I might try some trail runs to help me prepare.

Honestly, this blog is usually a great motivating factor. Every day that I don't run, I feel guilty that I am not keeping up with it and with my virtual running partners in the blogosphere. Granted, many of you are training for a marathon right now. I definitely don't have time for that. But even though I am not officially part of the Virtual Run Club, I feel almost like I am accountable to other runners who read this and I am failing.

So someone please help to kick my butt!! I need to get out there and run, dangit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, here I go:
THIS HAS TO STOP NOW!!! TOMORROW MORNING YOU WAKE UP BEFORE SUNSET AND RUN AT LEAST 15 MILES @ 9MIN/MILES OR FASTER!! RAWWWRR!!!

Jenn said...

Hate to say it, but I know how you feel. My motivation has gone down the tubes. Slackers no more! Let's get going!

Alissa said...

I think you need to cut yourself some slack. :) You just ran a marathon, then a half shortly after. You have to be a little sick of running. I always feel like that for at least 2 months after running a marathon.

Usually I'm a one marathon a year girl. So half the year, I run a few times a week for fun & just to stay in shape, the other half is my training period where I'm a little more focused. I think mentally I need that break. I cannot be forever "in training" for something. Even the pros have an on season and an off season.

Sounds like you are staying in shape through other means so give yourself a break! Maybe your next race should be the Rock N Roll again so you don't have to start seriously training for a few more months.

Be nice to yourself for a few months. Mix up your workouts and try new things (it sounds like you are already doing that with stroller strides). Then when you do resume a marathon training program, you'll have a fresh appreciation for running.

Just my two cents! :)

Anonymous said...

You've been working so hard for so long, I'm going to take the opposite tack of Alien and Jenn, and side with Alissa on this one. Sometimes it's ok to take some time off, do more cross-training stuff, and then go back to the running, refreshed and liking it even more for having taken the time off. And you might even be faster! Just don't stop blogging please!! And please tell your husband to get back to his Inspiratioal Blog, I really liked how he started it off.

And tell him the next time someone chucks a bottle at him while he's on his bike, tell him to chuck it right back twice as hard!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails