Friday, December 4, 2009

Through the fog

This morning I woke to thick fog and the temperature in the mid forties.  Brrr...  I really don't know how people in cold climates do it.  I wore tights, a long sleeve tech shirt with arm warmers under it, gloves and a fleece vest.  I didn't go for the knit hat yet, just my trusty Nike running hat;  I think it needs to be a few degrees cooler for a knit hat.

Where last week I set a mileage PR, this week I'll be lucky to hit the mid thirties.  Life has a tendency to get in the way of training.  I have had to cut some runs short due to my husband's work schedule (in addition to my not getting out the door early enough).  I have to be back by seven in order to get our day started.  It is hard to get longer runs in with a deadline.  I am also missing my long Saturday run.  I am not complaining, however.  We are taking the kids to Disneyland!!  They have only been once three years ago and my daughter was only six months old.  At six and three, they are the perfect age for the Magic Kingdom.  All through the move, I had promised them that we would go.  My friend's son (my son's best friend) is turning six tomorrow and we are all going to celebrate with Mickey (and Jack Sparrow and Sleeping Beauty).

So I ran today, my regular rest day.  I ran six miles, which is a decent distance during the week for me, but it won't make up for the ten I would have run tomorrow.  I had done a lot of hills this week, so I ran down to the river trail, which is flat.  The fog was really eerie.  I could see the water and tons of ducks, geese, herons and egrets.  I couldn't see across it, so I couldn't even see the headlights from the freeway.  I could almost convince myself that the traffic noise was a distant waterfall.  The fog really helped me feel like I was escaping.  It was really relaxing.

I want to wish a bunch of runners good luck this weekend on marathons and half marathons.  If I forget someone, please forgive me!
AKA Alice-Las Vegas Rock-n-Roll Half
Irene-Las Vegas Rock-n-Roll Half
Jill-Las Vegas Rock-n-Roll Half
Jimmy-Las Vegas Rock-n-Roll Half (Jimmy has been coaching the Team Challenge group.  Yeah, Coach!!)
Kristen- California International Marathon (this is Kristen's first marathon!!  She is going to do great!)
Aron- California International Marathon (this may be Aron's Boston Qualifying run!!)
Danica- California International Marathon (this race qualifies her for the Marathon Maniacs!)
Gigi- Santa Barbara Marathon

Happy Running, everyone.  I'll be sure to tell Mickey hi!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Your kids *are* the perfect age for Dinseyland. Have fun!

Kristin said...

Thanks, Lisa! Have a great time at Disneyland!

Unknown said...

Your foggy run sounds really nice. I hope you guys have a great vacation!

Lindsay said...

the disneyland trip sounds like a great family outing - hope all went well!

Aron said...

i love d-land!!!!

thanks so much for the shout out :))))

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the good luck wishes. My race wasn't exactly what I wanted, but racing is still a good experience!

Chic Runner said...

Hope you were able to get to disneyland! I know the weather down here has been pretty bad but hopefully you had a good day and thanks for the shout out! :)

Aka Alice said...

I am with you on the cold thing. I simply do not run well in the cold (and I have the 1/2 mary time to prove it).

Thanks for the shout out. I swear I could feel people thinking of me when I ran...wierd, huh?

Yay for a day at D-land. I never get tired of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails