Sunday, October 18, 2009

Good weekend of running*

Other than a bit of jello legs at the end of ten miles on Sunday, I have no complaints about my running weekend.

The mom I met at my son's school called me and arranged to pick me up for the run Saturday morning. They were running a trail run nearby and the directions were a bit tricky. She and her sister picked me up and we met a third member of the group at the trail head. It was a fantastic trail run through a little canyon, up to a dam that overlooked a gorgeous valley/canyon. We spent a lot of time navigating (they hadn't spent a lot of time on this trail) and deciding where to go. That's ok. I enjoyed taking it easy and getting to know them. I think we ended up going around four miles. We made plans to run the same trails next weekend without as much stopping to navigate. I didn't mind the relaxed pace and stopping at all. It isa lot of fun running trails with other people. I was just starting to walk/run with Jen up Cowles Mountain and really enjoying it. I am glad to pick up the trail running up here.

Since I didn't get a very long run in, I decide to run again Sunday morning. I was determined to run ten miles, although the longest I had run since AFC was nine miles a week or two afterward. I am supposed to pace a friend in a half marathon in a few weeks and I wanted to make sure I can even finish. At this point, I just want to be able to run it with her. I don't know how good I'll be at pacing with my lack of training, but I am going to try my best. I am just excited to finally be running with her.

Sunday's run was nice. It was a bit foggy when I started, which made things pretty humid once they warmed up a bit. I ran down to the river and headed east. I felt pretty good. I felt like I was getting into a groove. Around mile 7, I wanted to see if I could pick it up a bit. I ran the eighth mile in 8:39. Yeah! It was around that time that I had to head away from the river and back up to my house. The key word here is up. Oops. I didn't leave much in the tank for an uphill return to my neighborhood. As I started up the road, I started noticing my knees hurting and my legs feeling pretty heavy.

The good news is that even though it was tough, I was able to run those last two uphill miles under ten minutes each. I was really worked by the time I got home. I think that eight miles would have been more appropriate, considering the amount of running I have been doing. But I am glad I did ten. I know that I will be able to run that half marathon in Santa Barbara on November 8. I may not be speedy, but I should have a respectable time.

Next weekend should be more of the same-- a fun trail run on Saturday and a longer run on Sunday. Life is good.

* I know, I know... the weekend was DAYS ago


Janet B. said...

I am so excited! :D

Hopefully my leg will be feeling better and we can just have a fun run. No worries!

And the race is the 7th. Not the 8th. ;)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a couple great runs, nice job!

MCM Mama said...

Glad you got to have a couple of nice runs. It sounds like you are settling in nicely in your new area. Yay!

Irish Cream said...

Yay for getting nice runs in and loving life!

I think you will do just fine in Santa Barbara! You may just surprise yourself ;)

Anonymous said...

Seriously, each time I hear about your runs in your new home I feel a little surge of happiness for you. I know how hard it can be to move to a new location and it sounds like you're having a good adjustment!

Terri said...

Glad to hear you are finding good running peeps in the new neighborhood. Why do I get the feeling that even with what you consider to be a lack of training, you'll still do awesome in November?

Please take pics of your new runs/locales - I'd love to see them!!

How are the kids and Kenny doing?


Related Posts with Thumbnails