Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2011 is shaping up nicely so far

I received some great news yesterday.  I have been chosen as a Fitness Advisor for a Corporate Wellness Program administered by Active.com.  Oh, and the corporation is DISNEY!  Right on!

Since becoming a certified RRCA Running Coach in 2009, I have coached a lot of runners.  I have written training plans, helped with training runs and even paced runners to the finish line in races. I have done all this for the love of it and was offering my services to my friends (and even some acquaintances). I have had ideas of starting an official business and finding paying clients once we were settled into our new community in Orange County.

Unfortunately, in early 2010 my husband lost his job and we both went into job search mode.  Instead of pursuing a new career in fitness, I needed to focus on finding a job in my previous industry where salaries are high enough to support a family.  I continued to train for free, but didn’t want to find paying clients in case I had to relocate for a job.  2010 was rough, as many of you know from reading this blog.  Interviews were scarce.  Call-backs were even more rare.  I was actually offered a position, but the fit was just not right.  My husband had several instances where he was a finalist for a job, but it went to someone else. *sigh*

Two weeks ago he was offered a job!  Not only is it a good job at the right level, but it is in an industry that he is passionate about: biking.  Around the same time, I saw the Active.com opportunity.  It all seems to be coming together.

I will be coaching Disney Cast Members in a Couch to 5K program to prepare them to complete a 5K in May.  I am so excited! I love pushing my drug (running). There is something very cool about helping someone start running and to accomplish a goal that they never thought possible.

This is the perfect opportunity for me.  I will gain wonderful experience coaching beginners and have a great item for my resume.  I have a good feeling that this is just the beginning of good things to come.

Oh...and I ended the first month of 2011 with a perfect 100.  100 miles isn't a particularly strong running month for me, but I think the number is a nice sign.

12 comments:

Char said...

That's great news - both about your job plus your husband's. Good to hear that things are turning around for you.

The Turtle said...

Congrats on all the great news!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I am so excited for you and your family. This is great news. And I'm glad that you guys get to work in areas that you are emotionally invested... that makes it so much easier to work! I wish you great success, as well as wishing Kenny success in his new position.

Abby said...

SUCH wonderful news!! It's astounding at how many things have to go wrong before everything is right! I am so happy for you and for Kenny too. Life looks good! xxoo

Marlene said...

So happy things are looking up for both of you!! Sounds like great opportunities.

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like two matches made in heaven! I'm so glad things are coming together for both of you.

The Green Girl said...

Congratulations, that is absolutely awesome. I love that you are going to be able to combine your love with your livelihood!

Lindsay said...

This is even cooler than what you posted on FB!! Soo awesome! Glad things are looking up for you and hubs:)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both you and hubby! Looks like 2011 is off to a great start! :)

Irish Cream said...

I am SO, SO thrilled for you, Lisa. These sound like absolutely wonderful opportunities for both you and Kenny. I'm so glad things are turning around for you! Ha, it gives me hope that someday the same will happen for Wilson and I! In the meantime, I am just going to live vicariously through you :)

But seriously, congrats! You and Kenny worked SO hard to make this stuff happen!! I feel like this is just the beginning of many wonderful things to come!

Laura said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That will be such an awesome role.

Terri said...

Oh Lisa, I am so glad about Kenny getting a job in a field he likes. Thank God. (I remember hearing your own personal good news on Twitter!)

I am glad that after such a crappy last year, this one is starting off much better for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails