Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

A few weeks back, Jill tagged me with a very sweet blog "award." She said the following about my blog, "Lisa gives me hope that you can balance running, fitness and family. She’s got a great outlook on all those items, truly someone that I admire." Thanks, Jill... that really means a lot!

The task is to write about six things that make me happy. What better time to write about that than Thanksgiving (or the day after)?

1) The sound of spontaneous giggling from a certain five-year-old and/or two-year-old.
2) Hugs
3) Walking along the ocean. I enjoy the ocean here in Southern California, but walking along the Oregon coast in jeans and a sweatshirt is the best.
4) A really good musical (or movie or book, for that matter-- anything that helps me escape for an hour or two and let my senses be filled).
5) Cooking something that other people really love to eat.
6) Doing something physical (like running or biking) that really tests my limits and makes me feel like I have accomplished something.

There are a lot more. While that past couple of years haven't been the easiest in my life, they have definitely given me the deepest rewards. I need to focus more on all the things in my life that make me happy and quit sweating the small stuff.



Several of the blogs I like to read have already been tagged. Jill tagged Alissa, Chris, Terri and Jenn- all blogs I look forward to reading. I read a lot of blogs these days. Some of them are written for Runnersworld etc. or by people who are in a completely different world from me. The blogs I am tagging are from "real" people who I might run with if I knew them in real life. I included a couple of non-running blogs as well.

1) Kristin-- a very "real" runner who doesn't skimp on the details so I feel like I am running right there with her. She and I would probably have a good time running together.
2) Laura-- Laura and I are WORLDS apart in terms of our lives. However, we are not so different. I could see myself hanging out with her when I was twenty years younger. Her blog is very down-to-earth and says what is on her mind. I enjoy reading about her quest to be the youngest runner to run a marathon in all fifty states. I know she will do it.
3) Jody (Jodes)-- Not only do I enjoy her sense of humor, but I really admire her committment to charity. She is very active in fighting against poverty and hunger around the world.
4) AKA Alice-- Her descriptions of her exploits in my stomping grounds make me laugh. I love her phallic name for a run that I have done many times (Lake Boy Part). One of these days I am going to run into her and her "heffer" friends and I know they will make me laugh.
5) My good friend Penny-- Her blog is a great way to get a glimpse into her life, so far away from mine. She shares cute stories about her kids, but also supports charity through her crafts and Etsy sales. Penny was actually one of the first people to encourage me to run races. Her experience with her first half marathon really inspired me to do it myself.
6) Super mom, Angela. I "met" Angela on a message board for mommies. Earlier this year, Angela gave birth to a baby boy with Down's Syndrome. Her attitude, faith and love is truly inspiring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I meant what I said, you really do inspire me!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

I would have also chosen you for the award when I handed out but knew you'd already been tagged by Jill. (I was hoping I didn't upset anyone!)

I laughed when I saw what you said about the giggles of your kids. My sister and I were talking tonight about her kids, and I am going to miss not seeing them this year's week between Christmas and New Year's, as I've done in the past. Kids really can be awesome.

And yes, walking on the Oregon Coast, as you know, that's my idea of heaven. I so miss it from this summer and thank you again for all the advice you had sent me. I have all those pics on that box widget on my blog, did you notice?

Laura said...

Thank you so much for the kind words! I agree that I'd love to hang out - hopefully we'll do a race in the same place someday and have the opportunity to meet up :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails