Monday, February 20, 2012

A Bad Blogger…

I really should think of this blog as a job.  But I don’t. It has opened up a world for me –the world of running and the wonderful online running community. But yet, it sits here…lonely…without an update for weeks. I receive fantastic opportunities from this blog (i.e. Fitfluential, Nuun, etc.) and to those companies I apologize for my recent lack of stimulating content.

I started this blog four years ago as a way to document my journey of training for my first marathon. It was my journal, my account of becoming a runner. As I started getting followers and started learning more and more about running and fitness, I tried to add helpful posts like reviews, workouts etc. I tried to make my posts something that other people would want to read. But ultimately, it always came back to my own thoughts and feelings. I am not as good at seeing myself as an expert as I am at seeing myself as a runner…trying to find the right balance in life.

Lately, I have been feeling a little overwhelmed.  I am no busier than anyone else.*  I lead a typical life of a mom with a part-time job. Ironically, I can keep up with my turns on Words with Friends, but I struggle to keep up with expiring Groupons, blog posts and the laundry.  I know great bloggers who balance motherhood, full-time jobs and other responsibilities and still add interesting and informative content almost every day.**   It is not that I don’t have ideas…I have a half dozen unfinished posts in my draft folder. I just lack the focus and inspiration to get them done! I only seem to do what is most pressing at the time, letting other things in my life fall by the wayside.

My husband asked me once how I could have the dedication to run a mile every day, but I can’t seem to put away a load of laundry. I think running helps me escape (much like Words with Friends—LOL) and for those few minutes a day, I don’t feel overwhelmed. Sometimes it seems like there is so much to do, so I don’t even start. Then I am behind and it spirals into chaos.

How do I get things back on track?

What do you do to keep your life from falling into chaos? 

 

 

*Although recently I have been pretty consumed with organizing the jog-a-thon at my kids’ school, which took a LOT of time and energy.

**I do suspect, however, that some of those with full-time jobs manage to do a few blog posts from work.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

There's a pressure that comes from blogging that burns out so many.

Personally, I prefer blogs that tell the person's story instead of another outlet for doling out advice. None of us has all the answers anyway! :)

MCM Mama said...

I've learned that I can't have it all done at the same time. I just try to make sure that every piece of my life has its moment in the sun. Somehow that keeps all the balls in the air.

Of course, it helps that both my boys are in elementary school...

ltlindian said...

Blogging sometime makes me feel overwhelmed when I start comparing my blog to other blogs. (followers, giveaways, them getting stuff to review and me not). But I just need to remember that my blog is about MY life and not some business thing.

I just don't have time to keep up with everything--blogging, tweeting, and now pintrest! ugh!

Keep telling me about yourself--that's the part I like. :)

Lauren said...

You are doing great Lisa! I too cannot get the clean clothes put away. The only reason I get my blog out is that I am truly addicted to writing, just as I am with running. Don't get down on yourself. Write when you feel like it. And post those unfinished blogs when you don't feel like writing. You really are an inspiration. With 3 boys myself, and a part-time job, I know how truly difficult it is to get in those endurance runs. (Thank God for hubby). You really do rock. DON'T FORGET THAT! When I left Baz's 21k feeling pretty deflated, one runner said to me, "don't forget, when you get home, you are probably the most in shape person on your block." I would normally find this hard to believe, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was probably right.

If it hasn't come through above YOU ARE DOING GREAT!

Lindsay said...

blogging sometimes overwhelms me too. it keeps us normal! i don't know how people seem to juggle 900 things... i can barely manage work + reading blogs (since i'm not running now). i just do what i can, when i can, and try not to worry about it too much. this is just a hobby, right?

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, and I am interested in a potential partnership. I am working at the moment specifically with running blogs. nSphere is developing a local search tool that I believe would be a good fit for your site. It would allow your visitors to connect to a rich source of relevant data while remaining on your site.

Do you have time to talk sometime this afternoon between 3 and 6 PM EST? Or, if you prefer we have two Webex seminars, one Friday at 12:30 PM EST, and Tuesday at 5:00 PM EST. You can reach me at tgennaro@nsphere.net

Thanks,

Thom

Kathy said...

Lisa -when you figure this all out will you let me know the answer? Because I'm pretty much feeling exactly the same way these days!

hang in there mama!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails