Saturday, May 22, 2010

wimpy or smart?

I haven’t run since Tuesday.  I’ve been sick and I hate it.  Wednesday, I was down for the count and couldn’t do anything.  Thursday I felt a little better, but there was still no way I could run.  Friday I was well enough to walk my son to school and teach Stroller Strides, but still didn’t run.  That brings me to today.  The body aches and fever have given way to a good old fashioned head cold.  I know I have run with a worse cold, but again today, I didn’t run.

 

So am I smart to give myself a break to get better or a wimp for finding excuses not to run?  I don’t feel committed enough to this training cycle.  I am running a 31 mile race in less than three months and I am nowhere near where I should be.  Where is that drive to get those longer and longer runs?

I am planning on running in the morning.  I don’t know where or for how long.  I really want to go out on the trails, but I am a bit nervous about running by myself on the trails during rattlesnake season.  I just think I am less likely to encounter one if I am chatting with a friend.  Plus, there is another set of eyes to make sure I don’t step near one.  It is my biggest fear.

I hope that I am well enough to have a good run.  I am ready to be healthy again.

I hope you are all having a great weekend.  Happy running…

6 comments:

Char said...

Definitely smart. If you push yourself too hard after being sick you gain absolutely no benefit. It won't matter in the big picture if it took a couple of extra days to get back into it.

misszippy said...

I think you are very smart! I can't tell you how many times I've made the mistake of pushing through when I felt crappy and paid for it later. And I would be a total chicken when it came to rattlesnakes, I must say!

Aka Alice said...

It's easy to think that having little mojo is a sign of weakness when instead it's just a reality of what happens when we are not well.

Your body is smart for not wanting to run. It's good that you listened to it!

Irene said...

Smart, I say! Sometimes your body just needs a break.

Lindsay said...

this is always a tough call to make, unfortunately. definitely better to overrest than wear yourself down! maybe you could try working out (even if that's just walking - nothing intense!) for 10 minutes, and see if you feel any better?

Glenn Jones said...

Three months? Then the rest is better. In the big picture a few days of rest isn't going to anything since you're in the base building phase of your plan right now. Are you doing Montana de Oro? I'm passing this year because I *really* am not feeling he motivation to train....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails