Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A summer dilemma: shirt or no shirt?

It is officially summer!  Of course, that means the heat is on. I like that I don’t have to check the weather in the morning before running.  Shorts and a tank are called for every day.

The other day, I didn’t get out for a run until after 8 a.m.  It was already pretty warm. I was going out by myself and thought, “hey, why do I have to put a shirt on over my sports bra?” I did my run, was self-conscious for a while, but felt good as it heated up and I wasn’t soaking in a sweaty shirt.

This seems like a simple thing.  I see women running in sports bras all the time. But not me.  I am a pretty modest gal. Much to my husband’s dismay, if my neckline falls too far into the “cleavage zone” I wear another layer underneath.  I am not showy or ostentatious that way. I think it is the fact that I am not sure I want to get out there and say, “LOOK AT ME!”  That must seem silly coming from a girl who blogs about details of her life telling the world to “read all about me!” It is not that I am ashamed of my shirtless body.  No…I am actually pretty proud of my torso right now.  For the first time (maybe ever), I have significant abdominal definition.  My “mommy pooch” is at a minimum and I look and feel strong.

So why do I feel self-conscious? I doubt if most people would even notice as I run by. Those that do, wouldn’t think, “geez…put a shirt on.” I worry (probably unnecessarily) that they might think, “who does she think she is?” And what do I care what complete strangers think anyway?  Funny enough…I think I am less likely to go shirtless while running with my friends (a pretty conservative group) than I would anonymously.

Of course, in some cases shirtless running makes the world a better place!

What is your stand on shirtless running?  Do you go out there baring your torso?  Or do you put on a tank top? Should runners stay clothed? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Happy Running….

20 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

The only way I'm running without a shirt is if someone is paying me. Otherwise, I'd rather sweat to death.

Karen said...

You know me: I'd rather be flogged than let anyone see my naked albino-white underbelly. That said, LOTS of gals (including the instructors)come to my workout class in just bra tops and shorts. Nobody gives it a second thought. I hear it's way more comfortable in the heat.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I wish I had the confidence to go shirtless. I did for about a mile today and it felt divine. I don't mind other women doing it and I see plenty whose abs look worse than mine. I actually also have some pretty fab abs, it is just the handful of loose skin from being prego that I am most bothered by. I don't want people to look at it and think eww gross what the hell happened to her!

giraffy said...

What T said.

I still have mommy pooch for DAYS, and would not wish to force that upon anyone. :d

Lindsay said...

I'm not a mom but yet I have the mommy pooch going on anyway ;) I call it my Buddha belly. So no, no shirtless action here! :) more power to you!

Heather said...

You have a rockin bod! Show it off!! ;)

Jill Will Run said...

I've never run shirtless... just don't feel confident enough to do it! You're right, people probably aren't thinking negative things, but in my mind they are!

Running fool said...

4 years ago, pre-kiddos and at the height of my fit-ness, I went shirtless just once on a super humid morning run. Some random woman yelled at me to cover myself up and put some clothes on.(!!!) I was so embarrassed on self conscious about being called out on it, I never ran without a shirt again.

And now 2 kids later, it wouldn't be pretty anyhow!

Aka Alice said...

What I love best about this post is that you live in OC, where many women are completely willing to flaunt it (yes, I know, you live in the more conservative part of OC).

I think you shouldn't worry about running sans shirt. You look awesome. If I had your figure, I'd run shirtless!

Char said...

Maybe if I had liposuction and a fake tan? My biggest fear would be people looking at my bouncing belly and thinking 'way too old.'

Unknown said...

i wear a loose tank and then tuck it up under my bra straps to make it like a half shirt. then i can pull it down immediately to cover hte midsection when done or around a lot of people. it's my half-way solution.

Kristi said...

I did it once several weeks ago when I felt particularly skinny and it felt great from a heat standpoint. I was a little paranoid that everybody was looking at me and thinking "put on a shirt" but I tried to reassure myself that I looked OK and nobody really cared. I'm all for running shirtless. Whatever makes you feel good!

Heidi Mugar Moffatt said...

Heck, my body is pretty shameful, but at the gym the other day, I had to take off my shirt while running on the treadmill. It was so hot!

Anonymous said...

I keep my shirt on...only because I don't have a six pack. YET.

Anonymous said...

I keep my shirt on...only because I don't have a six pack. YET.

Mom's Home Run said...

You read my mind: I had the exact same thoughts this morning, wondering whether I could pull off pulling off my tank top and just run in my bra. But I didn't have the guts.

And I was bearing this purple sports bra, which could pass off for a little top. You've inspired me: next time I will leave the tank top at home.

Stephanie said...

Feel for you. Totally wrote a whole blog entry about this - my father's reply: you write a lot of stuff about yourself haha i guess i do though, see if this helps http://runforfun-stephanie.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-first-time.html

Anonymous said...

Green tea is best for weight lose. It has thousands of benefits. I love green tea and drink it daily.
weight loss drinks & best natural detox tea

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Thank you for sharing the update. It is interesting to have it discussed widely, so that we can gain more objective opinions.
weight loss drinks & best natural detox tea

Anonymous said...

Articles and content in this section of the website are really amazing. Great ideas indeed! I will surely keep these in my mind!
body boss fitness guide & body boss Power-Up Workouts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails