Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Diagnosis

After a brief visit with my doctor who did an EKG to rule out any cardiac issues, I have been cleared for running. **insert happy dancing Lisa here** That is the good news. I have what the doctor referred to as chondrochondritis. It is not an easy thing to find on Google, but it is basically the inflammation of the tissue between the ribs. The bad news is that it takes four to six weeks to heal.

Running won't exacerbate the injury*, but if the movement hurts, I should just slow down or walk. The only treatment for this is rest, anti-inflammatories, heating pad etc. It hurts as much as a broken rib and is treated nearly the same way-- with time. She did tell me to hug myself before coughing or sneezing to minimize pain.

I'm glad I went in and ruled out anything serious. I was pretty sure what it was, but I am happy with myself that I played it smart. So I am back to running tomorrow. I think I'll wait a week or two before I start adding in my hill repeats and speed work. Nice and easy is the motto of the week.

Thanks for all your support and well-wishes.

*For those of you who missed it, I went water skiing last week and through either a fall or twisting or overexerting, I injured my chest.

12 comments:

Oz Runner said...

glad it's not broken, and that you can continue running, but sorry that it's going to take awhile to heal...

Unknown said...

I'm glad that it's nothing serious!

EmLit said...

I'm glad to hear you got it figured out, got cleared to run, and that it's not something really serious! Hopefully if you run smart and take care, you'll be feeling much better in no time!

Irene said...

I'm glad to know you're OK!

Where do you run your hill repeats? I live in a hilly neighborhood to begin with, but some of the hills are very steep.

Lisa said...

Thanks everyone!

Irene, I do most of my hill repeats in my neighborhood. I live in a very hilly area (in fact, it is impossible to run from my house without going up/down very steep hills) I sometimes do some hills on the grass in Balboa Park.

Aron said...

phew glad its nothing TOO serious and you can still run. take care of yourself and heal fast!!!

Aka Alice said...

Yay! Glad it's not serious...I think it's always a good idea to hug yourself :-)

Irish Cream said...

Whew, good call on getting it checked out, Lisa. I'm so glad to hear it's nothing too, too serious and that you can continue to run! Hope it starts feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Mentioned it on FB, but I'll repeat it... I'm glad you know what's going on now. That stinks that it's one of those "time" things though, that gets frustrating sometimes. I hurt my coccyx (butt bone) once and it took FOREVER to feel right.

jodes said...

4-6 weeks suck! But I'm so glad i wasn't anything more serious!!! Take it slow and easy. And if you miss a race or two.. big deal. This is something we'll be doing until we're old, right!? :o)

Still sending good vibes!!

Erika said...

Glad you can still run! I had that a few years ago and it was painful and seemed to take forever to heal, but I did manage to keep running and biking through it.

Hope the pain gets better soon.


MCM Mama

Unknown said...

glad it is nothing serious. always better safe than sorry - your family needs you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails