Sunday, March 6, 2011

Body Back—week one nearly complete

Here are my thoughts on my first week of Body Back.
1) Thursday was our first high intensity workout.  It was a nine station circuit that took standard exercises to a new level.  For example, we didn’t do just a regular plank, we did a one-legged plank.
 
Another example is doing arm exercises on a balance ball with 25 pound weights.  The “skull crushers” and “flies” not only killed my arms, but used my core as well. 
My heart rate zoomed and I was sweating quite a bit.  As I was digging deep to push myself for the two minute intervals, I looked around me and was inspired by the other women doing the same thing.

2) I’m glad the first workout is behind me.  I was nervous and excited about it.  It has been a while since I have been able to focus on a workout that is just for me.  I’m not getting certified, I’m not instructing, I’m just focusing on pushing myself to get as fit as I can be.

3) I’ve never really dieted, so I’m not used to paying that much attention to what I eat.  The Body Back meal plan is not a diet, per se, but a structured way of eating healthy.  It is really just common sense.  The focus is eating food “close to the source.”  It eliminates most processed food.  There is no calorie counting, no food weighing, no checking carb content etc.  Other than fresh, unprocessed food, we eat breakfast (more than my normal Luna Bar), snack, lunch, snack, dinner.

The downside is that I am suddenly obsessed with food.  It seems like once I am done eating one meal/snack, I am thinking about the next one.  Grabbing convenience foods takes so much less time!   The best thing to do is plan all meals in advance at the beginning of the week.  I haven’t figured out that part yet.

4) It doesn’t help the food obsession that adding high intensity workouts tends to rev my metabolism which makes me super hungry.  This also happens to me at the beginning of a marathon training cycle.  Even though there are built in snacks, I am pretty sure I am eating a bit more than the prescribed serving sizes.  I’m sure that my body will start getting used to the change in exercise.

5) I am proud to say that I have made healthy choices all week,* I haven’t had soda all week, which is a huge accomplishment for me.  Soda is my main vice.  I love Diet Pepsi Vanilla and Diet Pepsi Lime.  Instead, I am drinking lots and lots of water**. I am adding things like fruit and mint leaves to make it a little more interesting. Sparkling water helps a bit with the soda cravings as well.  I also have a weakness for sour candy.  My kids know this.  In fact, whenever they have some sort of sour candy (Sweettarts etc.) they always have to give Mommy a “tax.”  My son won some Sour Patch Kids this week at a contest at school.  He offered his “Mommy Tax” and much to both of our surprise, I said “no thank you.” Ack!!  I know that a couple yummy candies aren’t going to hurt me.  In fact, weight loss is not my goal,so a few extra calories might be good. But I figure if I am going to do this thing, I’m going to do it right.

I started this as a learning experience, but I am really looking forward to seeing how I move forward in my own fitness journey.
_________________________________________________________
Oh, and on the running front, I had two great runs this weekend.  I am so lucky to live here!  I was able to run in the trails yesterday and at the beach today.  Yesterday, I ran with my regular running group.  After Kelly and Kim turned back for mommy duties and Rod and Jeff took off ahead of us, Joan and I went on our own little adventure.  She showed me a way to a “secret” little road the led under the toll road toward Irvine Lake.  It was peaceful and relaxing thirteen miles.

Today, I met Alissa, who was in town for a family wedding.  We met at the beach.  Since she lives in Arizona, she doesn’t get a chance to run along the ocean very often.  We ran eight miles together and chatted the entire time.  I barely noticed the great scenery for the wonderful conversation.  We kept it at a conversational pace.  The first couple of miles seemed like a struggle, but I fell into a nice groove and we ran at a nice 9:30 pace.  We enjoyed a Jamba Juice smoothie together afterwards and chatted some more.   I love how this blog has brought me together with friends who enjoy running as much as I do.
DSCN2895
Happy Running...


*except for some microwave popcorn last night with the kids while watching a movie.
**I have not, however, given up caffeine.  The lack of soda reduces my caffeine intake, but I still have my Zip Fizz before workouts and an occasional coffee (unfortunately, with a bit of creamer).  I’m not that good.

5 comments:

misszippy said...

Oh Jamba Juice! I envy you west coasters that.

The training sounds great. Keep up the good work!

Jill Will Run said...

You make me crave Jamba Juice... you're a good ambassador! :-)

I'm glad you and Alissa got to run together again. I hope we can go on a run together again sometime too!

Lindsay said...

Gotta love a tough workout! I am tryingto work on pre-planning/preparing food but it sooo much easier to grab n go like you mentioned! Need to hunker down and remember that skinny/healthy tastes and feels better than a quick meal from fast-food (etc). Good luck with it!

Love that you and Alissa were able to meet up!

Irish Cream said...

Thank you so much for the kind words on my blog, Lisa! I really appreciate them and they've been SO helpful in getting us through this rough patch. Big hugs for you!

Also, how wonderful that you got to meet up with Alissa for a run! I LOVE getting the opportunity to meet up with blog friends in person . . . I'm always amazed at how the conversation can flow despite never having met one another. I really hope we get to meet in person some day!

Laura said...

Question for you about the one legged plank: how often do you alternate legs? I've been trying them in sort of a leg-lift-y way (lift right leg, lower, lift left leg, lower, etc), but was never clear whether you were just supposed to stay with three supports or alternate the way I've been doing it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails